Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Patience, a God-like attribute

I know... I missed a week. I was sick, had lots of makeup work for school, had lots of tests to study for, auditions... all excuses, but all true. :)
Lately, I've been learning about the Lord's time. I mean, I've been learning that not everything happens when I want it to. Even if I pray asking for something to happen, and it doesn't happen, it may not be that what I prayed for wasn't the Lord's will, but it wasn't the right time. Often, I pray for something, and I'll ask for it right now. And often, it happens gradually. I have been learning to be patient, but sometimes it is difficult. On Sunday, there was a talk given about patience. Here are some of the notes I took that stood out to me:
  • Often, the hardest times of our life forms our character
  • God-like patience requires effort
  • without patience, we cannot be happy
  • Patience isn't: just sitting and waiting, effortless, passive or fear
  • True,, God-like patience IS:faithful, requires effort
  • The Lord does bless our lives when we are patient
  • We need to be patient with ourselves, just like we need to be patient with others
  • And, a great analogy: Patience is like a marathon. we must steadily pace ourselves so that we can reach the final sprint.
I thought about that as I ran a mile in gym yesterday.  It's really a great comparison. I really like a talk that President Dieter f. Uchtdorf, Second counselor of the Church, gave. Part of it reads:

"Nevertheless, without patience, we cannot please God; we cannot become perfect. Indeed, patience is a purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses action, and offers hope for peace."

To read the rest of the article, click here

I know that patience is a God-like attribute. And I'm grateful to have this life to acquire this, and many other righteous attribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I dare you to comment!