Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Power of Music

Music has a very powerful influence on our lives. In Doctrine and Covenants 25:12, the Lord says:
12. For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.
Music has the abilty to bring the Spirit into a room, or someone's heart. A song can be an answer to a prayer. A phrase may inspire someone to action, or may bring peace to someone's soul. All of this can, and will occur- with the right music.
For the Strength of Youth:
While much entertainment is good, some of it can lead you away from righteous living. Offensive material is often found in web sites, concerts, movies, music, videocassettes, DVDs, books, magazines, pictures, and other media. Satan uses such entertainment to deceive you by making what is wrong and evil look normal and exciting. It can mislead you into thinking that everyone is doing things that are wrong.
Everyone knows it. Music gets stuck in your head. Period. :). This can be good or bad. What music gets stuck in your head? The music you choose to listen to is essential to the person you are, and the person you will become. 
So. How do you know what music you should listen to?  I've come up with some questions you can ask yourself before you buy a song:
  1. How would you feel if your grandmother listened to it?
  2. Is it free of bad words, sexual references, and violence?
  3. How do you TRULY feel when you listen to it? Be honest with yourself, and listen to the Spirit.
Personally, most of the music I listen to is church music. I really love the music for youth that I can find and download from the church website. (I will put a link at the bottom of this post.) Right now, my favorite song is Hymn #124, Be Still My Soul. I love this hymn because it brings me peace every time I think about it or listen to it. When I hear this song, I am able to re-focus on what is important in my life, and I am able to relax.

As a musician, music is EXTREMELY important and influential in my life. I have recently started writing music, and it has been very exciting. At this time, I write church music, It is such a special feeling to know that you are creating something that can influence others for good. I love writing music, and I love playing music.

I know that music is very very very important. I know it can be a fantastic tool. And, I know that when I listen to wholesome music, my Heavenly Father is pleased. And that pleases me.  

Click here to check out the youth music library where you can listen to, and download church musci for teens. Did you know that some of this music was written by teens?

Click here to visit the interactive, online LDS Hymn Book.

5 comments:

  1. Music plays a HUGE part in my life. I have been listening to some beautiful arrangments during my workouts in the morning and I leave feeling so refreshed and uplifted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. That's a great idea!!! I really love Jessie Clark Funk's areangment of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. ". It's so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about the music you've been writing! You should share some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks! I'll try. It might take a while, though, to get it recorded and stuff. But that's a good idea. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I dare you to comment!