Thursday, February 27, 2014

I Can't Expect Perfection

I am a perfectionist to the extreme. Well, almost. I'm getting better about it. But I still get really upset sometimes when I mess up. It's a natural reaction. For example, this morning I overslept and missed seminary. At first I was really mad at myself. "Come on, Whitney! This is the third or fourth time this has happened this semester! What gives? You're better than this! Step it up! What will people think about you? What do you think about you?" Obviously, these are not productive thoughts. Actually, thoughts like these come from the adversary, who wants us to make us discouraged and miserable. When I realized how hard I was being on myself, I began thinking in a different manner. "This was just a silly mistake. It's alright. It's not fair to expect perfection from yourself because mortality makes it impossible for you to be perfect. You're doing the best you can and that is enough." Once I changed my thought patterns like this, my whole morning changed. I was happy and able to forgive and love myself.

I have been catching myself doing this quite often, lately. I'll make a mistake and begin to berate myself for it, then realize what I'm doing and be kind. It has been so eye-opening to me. It is liberating. When I make mistakes, whether it's in Spanish class or Orchestra, where it feels like everyone expects me to be perfect, or just in daily living, I can forgive myself because my Savior forgives me. If I am good enough for Him, I must be good enough for me. Choosing not to dwell on past mistakes and mishaps is changing my outlook and changing my life. It is wonderful. I'm so grateful for my Redeemer and the atonement He made which makes this possible. I know that all things are possible through Him, and through our Father in Heaven.


5 comments:

  1. Thats such a CUTE picture of you at the end girl! I LOVE love love the part where you wrote: "I can forgive myself because my Savior forgives me. If I am good enough for Him, I must be good enough for me" That is very similar to the realization I just came to about myself and wrote about on my blog! Always great to read your sweet spiritual messages :) Keep on shining girl! xoxo Dani
    http://mormonshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It reminds me of a quote I once read that said "I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection". Remembering my Savior already atoned for my shortcomings has made such a difference in my life. I love what you said about changing your thought process. I really need to work on that. Thank you for inspiring me to be better. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.... That picture you posted is actually a picture of me that the church took a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I can change it if you'd like. I'm not pretending it's me. I just enjoy posting a picture of an LDS youth at the end of each of my posts. You can look at my other posts to see that I genereally do this. I get theses pictures from lds.org where I know I'm allowed to use them with no copyright/ownership issues.

      Delete

I dare you to comment!