Monday, January 23, 2012

The Blessings of the Book of Mormon

Exciting News! This girl just finished the Book of Mormon, cover-to-cover, for the first time!!! Reading the Book of Mormon for myself has been such a great experience for me! I didn't know that I could do it until my young women's leaders challenged me to do so. I admit, it took longer than I thought it would, but I learned so much!
First, I learned that I CAN do anything I put my mind to. For me, reading the Book of Mormon seemed daunting.  I'm not really sure what I was afraid of, maybe I was afraid that I would never finish. Over the years, there have been many times where I've started reading, only to get to 1 Nephi chapter 6. But this time, I did it. The main factor which I think was key to my success was that I had faith. This time when I started, I prayed that Heavenly Father would help me. I asked that He would help me understand it, and help me accomplish this goal. Because I knew that my goal of reading the Book of Mormon was pleasing to Heavenly father, I knew that He would help me.
Second, I learned how much I can gain from reading the scriptures everyday. I started realizing this back in October, and I posted on it (Scripture in My DAILY Life). But throughout these months, I have been realizing it even more. Those days when I don't read the scriptures simply don't go as well as the days where I do read the scriptures. Also, I have so much more confidence because I know that what I'm doing is pleasing to Heavenly Father, and I know that He is proud of me. It's great to know that the most powerful person in the universe is proud of me.
Third, I know the scriptures better. This is a great thing for my blog posts, talks, and lessons that I may be asked to give. I have had a fabulous example of that in the last week. I have been writing a talk for New Beginnings, a meeting in Young Women's for the parents and girls, and because I knew where a certain scripture was, I was able to use it in my talk. I didn't have to research it because I knew exactly where it was!
Fourth, my testimony in the Book of Mormon has been enriched. Before I read it, I mostly knew that The Book of Mormon is true. But now that I've read it from cover-to-cover, I can absolutely testify that this book is beautiful, holy, strengthening scripture that will enrich our lives and help us live to our potential.



To find out more about the Book of Mormon, click here.

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony! I am almost finished with the Book of Mormon and I am looking forward to starting it again for the new year.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've started it again too! It's just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post..you need to come on over and link-up in the Book of Mormon Forum Blog Hop: http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2012/01/bad-guys-of-book-of-mormon.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That is a big accomplishment. I once had a bishop who put a little mark in the front of his scriptures every time he read them all the way through. He had almost 50 marks on them! It really amazed me that he had read them that many times and he said that every time he read them he learned something new. It is amazing they never get old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! :D The Book of Mormon is one of my absolute favorite books! :) I have read it myself many times, and several times with my family as well; I am always amazed at how much peace is on our home when we read it as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! It is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so Awesome!!! Aren't you so proud of yourself? Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I am. (In a good way, (: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I could fly through the Book of Mormon that fast. When I was still a Teacher in young men's my ward threw a 90 day challenge and if you accomplished it then you got a ring as if it were a class ring. I got notified late so I bailed out sadly to say. So sadly to say I didn't read the Book of Mormon all the way through until I was 18. I started my own 90 day challenge and was soaring, but got interrupted by my young single adult ward throwing one for 4 months. We were to start at the beginning of August and finish on Christmas this past year making it my 3rd time. That's the fastest I've read it. After the first time I read the Book of Mormon I didn't grasp it that well, but I feel it was due to a pair of reasons. One is that I was just doing it to say I had rather than gain a strong testimony in it. Then the other is that I'm ADD. So the second time I read it I took notes. I thought of it as I was in 2nd Nephi though. It still helped me grasp it as I was reading it. So that time of reading the Book of Mormon I meant my prayer a little more. It still didn't come immediately like some expect it to, but it came gradually starting in the week and ending by the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you for your testimony! I still can't believe I read it that quickly either! It was really difficult. Sometimes we had to read five or six chapters a day to get it done in time. But it was worth it!
      Congratulations! Even though you didn't read it all the way through until you were 18, that's okay. You're still ahead of some people! We all learn and do things at our own paces. Nice job.

      Delete
  10. I'm a Laurel advisor and I'm so glad I found this. I'm preparing to teach "Why do we need the Book of Mormon?" and your blog post popped up from my search. I just sent this link to all of my Laurels, because I know they will be inspired by you. Thanks for sharing your testimony online. No doubt it has blessed lots of people, including me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! You have no idea how much that means to me! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

I dare you to comment!